I hate peeling butternut squash – a combination of laziness and fear that I’ll cutoff a finger — so when I read about this method for cooking one without peeling, I had to check it out. You just wash off the squash and put it in your crock pot for 4-6 hours. Voila, done. Cut in half, scoop out the seeds and put the good stuff back in the crock pot.
Next, in a separate fry pan, sauté up the onions in oil until soft. Dump in pot.
Add the remaining ingredients and blend with an immersion blender.
Let cook for another hour or so until hot.
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon golden brown sugar
- 1 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- Couple dashes of cinnamon
- 3 cups (or more) canned low-salt chicken or vegetable broth
Photo credit: Stacy Spensley via Flickr